Disclaimer: This is not medical advice. You and your physician will determine if (and potentially how) you should take Ambien.
What is Zolpidem (Ambien)
Ambien is categorized under the drug class called sedative-hypnotic drugs. It is a brand name of the generic version Zolpidem. The Food and Drug Administration approved this sleep medication in the year 1992.
This medication is approved for treating sleep disorders (insomnia in adults). Insomnia is the type of health conditions that make the individuals difficult, to go to sleep and stay asleep during the daytime. The sleep medication comes in two forms immediate-release and extended-release forms.
It is approved only for the adult patients and not for children.
The working mechanism of Ambien
It works by increasing the natural chemical compounds GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) present in the brain. This chemical substance works by reducing the brain activity to get a calming effect on the patient’s mind and body.
When you take the Ambien immediate release, it works by creating a peaceful and relaxing mind and makes you fall asleep when you are going to the bed. An extended-release form, Ambien CR, works by dissolving very fast to make the patients fall asleep when they take it. The next layer dissolves very slowly, helps in staying asleep for a long time.
What are the safety measures and precautions for Ambien?
It is recommended to avoid this sleeping pill if you are using any of the following medicines like:
- Drugs that contain the chemical substance sodium oxybate.
- Azole antifungals (such as ketoconazole and rifampin).
- Pain or cough relievers (such as codeine, hydrocodone).
- Medication for sleep or anxiety disorder (such as alprazolam, lorazepam, zopiclone).
- Antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine).
- Muscle relaxants (such as carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine).
If you are the individual who is sensitive to lactose, you should not take these pills as it contains the lactose in it. It is also advised, not to take the medicines if you are allergic to active ingredients Zolpidem.
This medication is not a better choice for all the patients. To know whether this sleeping aid is suitable for you, inform your doctor if you have:
- Kidney or liver disease.
- When you have an addiction to alcohols and drugs.
- Psychotic or mental disorder (depression, varied thoughts, etc.).
- Lung disease (such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- Myasthenia gravis.
- Sleep Apnea problem.
You have to take this pill only if need 7 to 8 hours of sleep. The reason is the effect of the drug is last until next day.
If you took other sleep aids, you may experience the dizziness, blurred or loss in vision.
Due to its sedative effect, it causes more side effects in children and older adults. The effect includes hallucinations, confusion in mind, unsteadiness and excessive drowsiness.
It is suggested to consult with your doctor; for the risks that associated with the Ambien pills during the time of pregnancy.
Consuming alcohol and Zolpidem medication together may cause an adverse effect on your body
Zolpidem active ingredients may bring about the dangerous effect to a nursing baby. It is advisable to inform your physician that you’re feeding the baby.
It is not approved for Insomnia patients who are less than 18 years.
How to use Ambien properly?
- Ambien is a controlled substance; do not recommend this medication to others unless it is prescribed for them. This because there is a chance for those abusers might misuse it.
- It is considered to be a habit-forming drug, don’t overdose it or take it for a longer duration of the period.
- To treat your insomnia in a better way, it is advised to follow your prescription and instruction provided by your healthcare professionals.
- It is prescribed only for short-term use for 4 to 5 weeks. Do not take it longer than your treatment period without the doctor’s advice.
- Ambien extended-release CR tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it.
- Since it is a controlled substance and it may cause a habit-forming. Keep it away from children and store at proper room temperature.
The dosage which is suggested for women and men patients is not same. They are different because removing the active ingredients present in women or low when compared to the men.
Normally, the initial dose prescribed for women is Ambien 5mg and for men is 10mg; disorder patient either 5mg or 10mg is prescribed based on their health conditions. It is advised to take this medication during night time, for having a proper sleep of 7-8 hours. The maximum prescribed dose is 10mg. It is advised to take only a single prescribed dose per day.
It is supplied to the customer in 5mg and 10mg tablet strength. Ambien 5mg tablets are two sides, capsule shape, pink color and film-coated and the 10mg tablets, while color, capsule shape and two-sided.
Side effects of Ambien:
If the side effects are very serious, then it is advised to contact your doctor for the medical help. The common and serious side effects include:
- The psychotic or mental disorder.
- A sudden change in your mood or behavior.
- Varied thoughts running through your mind.
- Hallucination, confusion, anxiety.
- Trouble in concentration or sleeping.
- Memory loss.
- Allergic reaction: rashes, itching, swelling of the face etc.
- Feeling discomfort, irritability or illness.
- Weakness in your body and tiredness.
- Difficulty in having breath.